What is AJANT?
Australian Japanese Association of the Northern Territory Incorporated (AJANT) is a not-for-profit organisation, and was formed in 1989. Our primary goal is to foster greater understanding and friendship between Australian and Japanese people.
What do we do?
- Hold events and social get-togethers to promote Japanese culture and friendship. AJANT is very proud of the events we have held in the past such as Children’s Day, Japanese Film Festival and Bunko No Hi.
- Act as a point of contact for new arrivals to the Northern Territory by providing support and friendship to lessen the impact of loneliness and hardship of settling into a new environment.
- Provide opportunities for people to learn more about Japan, Japanese culture and language through friendship.
- Help and be a source of support and information for Japanese tourists visiting the Northern Territory.
- Act as an official point of contact between the Japanese Embassy and the Consulate of Japan for the Northern Territory community.
Our association is served by a committee of people dedicated to values of AJANT. Elected annually at the AJANT Annual General Meeting.
AJANT Committee members 2019/2020
AJANT Committee members 2018/2019
President: Yumiko Shaw
Vice President/Public Officer:
Treasurer: Zoe Saliba
Secretary: Vanessa Charlton-O'Shea
Assistant Secretary: Tomoko Okazaki
Promotions Officer: Akane Tschirpig
Reiko Kawai, Caitlyn Antella, Kerry Braun, AnneLouise Cooper
AJANT Committee members 2017/2018
President: Kathleen Bresnehan
Vice President: Yumiko Shaw
Treasurer: Ken Lin
Secretary: Tomoko Okazaki
Assistant Secretary: Janet Truong
Public Officer: Kerry Braun
Promotions Officer: AnneLouise Cooper
Asako Kobayashi, Kayoko Watanabe-Skillas,
Caitlyn Antella, Akane Tschirpig